a life makeover blog

Disclaimer: My blog is currently under construction. So some things may be wonky until further notice!!

Monday, April 19, 2010

The FlipFold and Your Big Idea

Great things often begin with one idea. And that one little idea can snowball into The Idea. An idea that started with someone seeing a need and also seeing that no one was filling that need.
THE BIG IDEA is a great show that gives great career advice, particularly to inventors, entrepreneurs, and those who are starting over. They have celebrities and well-known career advisers (Joy Behar, Carson Kressley, and Jon Bon Jovi for example), but they also talk to "normal" people who just came up with a great idea and did something with it.
I discovered the show about three years ago and I have what I call my "notebooks of desperation" as evidence. I took tons of notes  while watching the show, grasping for something positive while I  figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up. It was at one of lowest points for me career-wise, and really, life-wise. The show helped me see that my situation was not without hope, a message you need when your confidence takes a dive off the Sears Tower*. It's long way down and you need help getting off the sidewalk (not to mention, serious medical attention).
Donny Deutsch is a great host, he’s funny and supportive. This dynamic is important since they take calls and messages from viewers who are really struggling and needing real advise. And he has great teeth.
I just found out that they featured mom/inventor Debbee Barker back in 2007. She’s the creator of The FlipFold. The idea came to her 10 years ago and now it’s a million dollar business and was featured on the sitcom The Big Bang Theory.

How many times have you thought, "I wish I had thought of that?" and the jealousy over someone else's success ballooned up inside of you like bad heartburn, or gas.  Well, the good news is there are more ideas out for you to discover, and Tums is cheap.
The Big Idea comes on CNBC Weeknights and 10pm and 1am. 

*(I refuse to call it the Willis Tower. )

No comments:

Post a Comment